Group: Poudre River School

Can my child participated in school sports while enrolled in PRS?

Yes, the law requires that public schools allow students in private school to participate in extracurricular activities, including sports.

The law regarding participation in extracurricular activities at a public school is the same for homeschoolers and private school students. In either case, there is no specific restriction on which school where they participate, but it does state that it must be in “the student’s school district of attendance or in the student’s school district of residence.” It also allows for participation at a school in a contiguous district if the activity is not offered within their district.

In general, you must choose a single school for all sports that your child participates in, although there may be exceptions. For example, if your child wants to join a swim team, and there is only one school in the district with a pool, they may be able to swim for that school even if they are playing football for their neighborhood school. Be sure to ask your local district about how they handle this kind of situation.

You can read the whole section of the law about this under “Extracurricular Activities” on the Colorado Law page.

Can I enroll my child in a homeschool enrichment program and PRS?

Yes, you can.

Because PRS is a private school and does not receive any public funding, there is nothing to prevent enrolling in both. Many children enroll in a homeschool enrichment program while enrolled in PRS with no problem using their statement of enrollment in place of an NOI. You can print or download a copy of your statement of enrollment from your account page. Keep in mind that many public schools and districts may not understand what an umbrella school is. You are welcome to contact PRS if you need assistance.

What is the cost to enroll in PRS?

PRS Tuition & Fees are listed below. Note that tuition is charged annually based on the PRS school year, which is July 1st through June 30th, and is not pro-rated regardless of when you enroll or withdraw your student(s). New families also pay a non-refundable, one-time registration fee.

PRS Tuition & Fees for the 2023-2024 School Year
New Family Registration Fee (one time) $25.00/family
Family Tuition $65.00/family/yr
Diploma Program $22.00/student/yr
Transfer High School Credits to PRS Transcript $12.00/student
Transfer PRS Records to School free
Official High School Transcripts free
PRS Diploma varies (more info)

What makes PRS different from other umbrella schools?

Some of the things that make PRS unique are convenient online reporting and records access, no required testing, and quick, personal response by the school owner, a veteran homeschool mom. We also offer an informative monthly newsletter, discounts for enrolled families, and active social media groups where we provide information and resources for homeschooling. We are a small, family-owned business committed to supporting your family by minimizing stress and offering simple legal enrollment with maximum freedom.

Does PRS provide curriculum?

No, PRS does not provide any curriculum.

Enrolled families are free to choose whatever curriculum or other resources that work for their individual children. Cathy Duffy Reviews is a great resource to find curricula based on age, subject, format, and worldview.

Can I transfer my child from public school to PRS in the middle of the year?

Yes, you may transfer your student at any time that PRS enrollment is open (through April 30th).

Follow these steps to transfer from public school to PRS:

1. Enroll in Poudre River School.
The student registration form asks if you need to withdraw from a public school. Select “yes” and then enter the public school’s information. 

2. Withdraw from the public school.
Tell the current school that you are transferring your student to a private school and need to withdraw. They will usually have a withdrawal form for you to fill out and you’ll list Poudre River School as the new school.

3. Verify that the withdrawal has been completed.
The public school is required to verify that the student has enrolled in another school (or has an NOI on file) before completing the withdrawal. PRS will use the information you enter on the student registration form to send confirmation of enrollment to the school. Please contact the public school to verify that your child’s withdrawal has been completed.